It's time to shower yourself with self love! Many of us struggle with loving our body as it is. It’s hard not to compare ourselves to others, especially when it comes to swimwear. I’m sure most of us have experienced the streams of negative thoughts as we’ve tried on swimsuit after swimsuit, feeling like we’re not worthy to wear them because of how we look. Often every swimsuit we try on brings out a new “imperfection” that we see in ourselves. We tell ourselves "My legs have cellulite, so I need to cover them up". Or "I haven't lost the 'baby weight' yet, so I can't be seen in a swimsuit". Instead of bringing joy, trying on swimsuits can be a dreaded nightmare that brings up feelings you maybe didn’t even know you had about your body. With these feelings, it’s so important to remind yourself every day to love your body and cherish it. You belong in a swimsuit just as much as anyone else does! These ten affirmations are a perfect start to your journey to loving your body and feeling comfortable in your own skin. Read them aloud. Say them to yourself in the mirror. Remind yourself before you put on your swimsuit and give yourself permission with these affirmations to be happy and comfortable in your swimsuit and your body every day.
- I love and accept myself exactly as I am.
- I love my body and all it does for me.
- There is no one else like me and I celebrate it.
- I am enough. I am worthy of all happiness.
- I love my body, my scars, my wrinkles, and my stretch marks because they all represent living.
- My body is an instrument to use and experience, not an ornament to be admired.
- I thank you body for serving me in (this way) today. You always take such good care of me.
- My body is my home.
- I love my body because nobody else can tell me how to feel.
- My body is not for others’ approval or satisfaction, but for myself, to make me happy.
By simply starting here and becoming comfortable with your body, you give yourself permission to be free from body hate. You allow yourself to remember that there’s no such thing as a “perfect swimsuit body”. Being comfortable with this ultimately gives us permission to let go of the worries and have fun in your swimsuit.
Here are some additional resources that have hundreds of articles, helpful affirmations, and real talk about positive body image to help you on your journey to loving your body:
- Master Self Love - a great blog and podcast all about self-love.
- Beauty Redefined - a nonprofit led by Lexie and Lindsay Kite helping girls and women improve their body image as they struggle through cultural ideals.
- Tiffany Roe - licensed mental health therapist who's inspiring individuals on Instagram daily. Her podcast, Therapy Thoughts, is also gold.
- https://curtismethod.com/affirmations/positive-affirmations-for-a-healthy-body-image/ - (another great source that has individual body part affirmations that are so inspiring. They make you feel so good and they bring you back to reality and why we have bodies.
At Kortni Jeane, we truly believe that every body is a swimsuit body and we hope that you feel unique, beautiful, and confident in our swimsuits like never before this season.
Kortni Jeane + Team