- Soul Surfer (2011) - Teenage surfer Bethany Hamilton overcomes the odds of returning to the water after losing an arm in a shark attack.
- Blue Crush (2002) - As a hard-core surfer prepares for a big competition, she finds herself falling for a football player.
- Surf’s Up (2007) - An animated behind-the-scenes look at the annual Penguin World Surfing Championship, and its newest participant Cody Maverick.
- Moana (2016) - In Ancient Polynesia, when a terrible curse reaches Moana’s island, she answers the ocean’s call to seek out Maui to set things right.
- Gidget Goes Hawaiian (1961) - Gidget is desperate! Her parents want to force her to come with them on vacation to Hawaii during one of the most important weeks of her life!
- Holiday in the Sun (2001) - Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are whisked away to the Bahamas for winter break but cross paths with a man smuggling stolen artifacts.
- Couples Retreat (2009) - A comedy centered around four couples settling into a tropical-island resort and non-optional couples therapy sessions!
- 50 First Dates (2004) - Henry is a man afraid of commitment until he meets Lucy! But can he fall in love with a girl who has short-term memory loss and forgets him everyday?
- Jaws (1975) - When a killer shark targets a beach community, it’s up to a sheriff, a marine biologist , and an old seafarer to hunt the beast down.
- The Shallows (2016) - Blake Lively starts as a surfer who’s attacked by a great white shark and she’s trapped a mere 200 yards from shore.
- Teen Beach Movie (2013) - Two surfers find themselves swept into a dimension-traversing wave that sends them into a beach movie musical in the 60’s.
- Aquamarine (2006) - Two teenage girls discover a mermaid in their beach club’s swimming pool.
- Fool’s Gold (2008) - Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson star as a married couple whose love rekindles as they search for a lost treasure.
- Cast Away (2000) - Tom Hanks stars as a FedEx executive who crash lands on a deserted island and undergoes physical and emotional challenges.
- Mamma Mia (1&2) (2008/2018) - The story of a bride-to-be trying to find her real father told using the hit song by ABBA with the sequel to follow.
- South Pacific (1958) - During World War II, love blooms between a young nurse and a secretive Frenchman who’s being courted for a dangerous military mission.
Our first lineup ranged from Disney’s animated film Moana to a classic tropical musical South Pacific. Between Bethany Hamilton’s inspirational story in Soul Surfer and a Rip Masters surf competition in Blue Crush, you all voted for Soul Surfer! The winners from there were Moana, Holiday in the Sun, 50 First Dates, Jaws, Aquamarine, Cast Away and Mamma Mia 1 & 2. Did your personal favorites make it through the first round?? Or better yet, will they make the next cut?
With eight contenders left in the running, we dove headfirst into round two! From animated gems to intense classics, we definitely had a wide genre to choose from. The winners of round two came down to Moana, 50 First Dates, Aquamarine, and Mamma Mia 1&2! Talk about an intense competition though. Some of our second round votes were close!
The votes are in and we only have four beach movies left in our ultimate tropical movie bracket! From Disney princess to a girl with daily memory loss and a modern day mermaid to a musical masterpiece. Which movies will make the final cut? Semi finals were intense but here were the winners: Moana and Mamma Mia 1&2!
ROUND 4: Beach Movie Madness Finals!
Listen up beach babes and bums! The competition was hot and the votes were close, but say hello to the best beach movie around! MOANA! This self-empowering, heart-warming, and easy to sing along with Disney movie is our number one beach movie!
Well that’s it friends! Snag your favorite soda, break out the snacks, and settle in for a tropical movie night or marathon. Either watch our official number one beach movie or make a night of it with your personal top three. Happy weekending KJ gang! Thanks for following along and don’t forget to comment below any movies we should have included in our bracket. There’s always next year!
Kortni Jeane + Team
- Tags: KJ Everyday